Oil & Gas
HVTS Cladding Prevents Oil and Gas Vessel Corrosion
IGS is an on-site thermal spray company with decades of experience in designing and delivering High Velocity Thermal Sprayed (HVTS) cladding applications to critical O&G process assets globally. Since 2001, IGS 5420 HVTS cladding has been successfully used to effectively eliminate internal vessel corrosion with the application of a high nobility Corrosion Resistant Alloy (CRA) corrosion barrier. IGS 5420 HVTS is a long-life barrier (typically in excess of 10-years), freezing the internal metal condition, reducing future shutdowns and maintenance requirements, and increasing process productivity and availability.
Corrosion-Erosion of Critical Oil and Gas Process Assets
In the FEED stage, oil and gas plants are designed to provide a minimum operating life (design life). However, in service conditions rarely match the FEED parameters; plants operate well beyond the original design life and challenges in vessel fabrication, design, and process operation typically leads to higher internal corrosion rates than anticipated. This introduces the requirement for maintenance, repairs, or replacement of process equipment to prevent loss of containment, maintain asset integrity, and process operation.
An internal metal alloy upgrade, with a highly corrosion resistant Corrosion Resistant Alloy will provide a long-life corrosion barrier to stop internal vessel corrosion and wastage of the vessel pressure boundary, enabling asset life extension, increased uptime, and reduced maintenance.
High nobility CRA alloys can be applied by Weld Overlay techniques. However, this technique presents many challenges in the field, such as the application time, creation of a Heat Affected Zones (HAZ), need for Post Weld Heat Treatment (PWHT), and vessel distortion. A more economical and cost-effective solution is to apply high nobility CRA alloys with IGS HVTS.
On-Site HVTS Cladding Mitigating Internal Process Vessel Metal Wastage
IGS 5420 High Velocity Thermal Sprayed cladding is a proven technique to apply a high nobility CRA to operating assets in-situ, in the field, with minimum down time and disruption to plant operation.
IGS utilizes only true high velocity application processes, where atomization of the material occurs before or in a super-sonic gas stream. This is the only way in to achieve the optimal cladding properties, where cladding particles are small enough, and compacted enough to provide the necessary macrostructure needed for reliable and predictable long-term corrosion barrier performance. IGS HVTS offers our customers the following advantages over other thermal spray and cladding solutions:
- IGS 5420 HVTS cladding is designed to practically eliminate permeability and therefore corrosion, using modified alloys and application equipment technology developed by IGS R&D, then tested and evaluated in conjunction with O&G majors.
- HVTS provides asset owners and operators with a reliable internal corrosion barrier enabling increased run times, fewer shutdowns, reduced maintenance, and lower inspection and operating costs.
- IGS 5420 HVTS cladding has been in service in O&G process’ since 2001, in aggressive processes operating with highly sour environments (high H2S, Chlorides (Cl), Carbon Dioxide CO2) etc.)
IGS Experience in the Oil & Gas Industry
Integrated Global Services, Inc. is the pioneer in the use of Thermal Spray claddings in O&G process assets. IGS has completed tens of thousands of square meters of onsite internal vessel application in critical O&G process equipment over the past two decades.
Having completed so many applications over so many years, uniquely positions IGS as the leader in materials, application technology, installation, refurbishment and operating methods for successful application of our HVTS claddings in O&G facilities. Simply stated, we are the best positioned to know what works and what does not in many varying O&G processes onshore or offshore, upstream or downstream, with different feed conditions across the globe. Where others are experimenting with potential solutions, IGS has trusted and proven solutions.
Optimized Solutions for O&G Critical Process Asset Protection
Over the past two decades, we have leveraged this experience and knowledge to develop unique materials and application methods to provide reliable and predictable protective corrosion barriers in the most challenging O&G process assets and environments globally. We have learned that:
- For the use of IGS HVTS claddings to provide the strongest return on investment, critical assets should be managed proactively so as not to allow the steel pressure vessel wall thickness to deteriorate beyond its corrosion allowance. IGS HTVS is a corrosion barrier which can be applied to any metal substrate (carbon steel or CRA) of a fit for service vessel. Managing asset integrity and monitoring corrosion is critical to prevent vessel replacement or major, costly mechanical repairs.
- HVTS alloys and application equipment needs to have specific properties to successfully prevent internal vessel corrosion reliably for the lifetime of the asset. Permeability, oxide content, toughness, and residual stress properties are some of the critical characteristics that determine whether thermal spray claddings will prevent internal corrosion and not cause secondary problems in the vessel such as accelerated wastage of the pressure boundary at the cladding interface, should the cladding fail in localized areas.
- Managing O&G asset integrity over the long term is a larger challenge than just the initial application. Minimizing downtime and maximizing the process output is the key to maximize productivity. Utilizing an internal corrosion barrier such as IGS metal spray cladding, together with IGS proprietary inspection technologies, enables clients to actively monitor internal cladding integrity externally (without vessel entry), extend time between vessel interventions and inspection (to 5 or more years), reduce shutdown/turnaround durations and cost due to the associated reduced maintenance and repair requirements facilitated by a reliable internal corrosion barrier.
- IGS creates value for its clients not only through provision of skilled personnel and proprietary fit for service HVTS cladding solutions, but also through expert inspection and corrosion or metal wastage modelling which allows IGS to specify what materials should be applied, both on initial application and periodic refurbishment, to ensure long term dependable performance.
On-Site CRA Cladding
IGS 5420 HVTS cladding creates value for O&G process asset owners and operators by ensuring reliable and predictable performance of their assets. Customers who view reliability and dependability of their process productivity as mission critical to their revenue generation and / or their customers will experience the economic benefit of metal spray technology and approach to process asset reliability. Through our strategically placed operations in the Americas, Europe, Africa, CIS, Middle East and Asia Pacific regions, IGS focuses on creating value for our customers globally by ensuring reliable and dependable performance of their mission-critical assets.